January 28, 2007

In A Winter With No Slush


Everyone has been asking me whether my shoe dreams will appear now that "the pressure is on" to have them. I've said, "bah," I am not worried. If they do, they do. If they don't, they don't. I'm not too attached to them anyhow. But, gladly, I remembered I dreamt a pair last night.

K-- has a predilection for shiny red, pointy heeled shoes in reality. It is no wonder I dreamt of her buying this pair of knee-high cherry boots with a nice scalloped edge...but for winter!? They are pointy like icicles, it's true, but I highly doubt these beauties are waterproof.

But why waterproof shoes for dreams? In dreams, everything is perfect--or not perfect, but ideal. Even the sordid or violent is ideal. Hermetic, and without other possibility.

Another detail of the dream is that K--'s boyfriend bought her these boots, and they ONLY cost one thousand dollars!

2 comments:

megumi said...

now those are some luscious ruby red shoes...
i love this blog. you are the best claire bear ~ also, thank you for the soo so sweet card. i have one for you that will be making its way to you sooner than later.

lotsa love, keep dreamin in pretty shapes and colours lil' lady
xoxoxoxo catrina poo.

Unknown said...

Oh Claire, would that your dreams were prophetic!

In fact, on the street car this morning I had my own little reverie about the dreamy shoe salesman at my favorite Italian shoe store on St. Claire. M-- and I rode up to his shop on a rainy day last spring. I was trying on a pair of strappy heels and he fastened the ankle straps buckles for me. He did this with the reverence of a man who really appreciates a pair of leather pumps-- firmly, but delicately and with a practiced dexterity. A man who has found his calling in dressing women's feet in red. And I am certain this gesture was the sinker to the hook and line of his selling technique. M-- and I, two people of moderate means and immoderate tastes, purchased three pairs of shoes that day-- two pairs of red heels for me, and ankle boots for M--.

At the cash register I said, "Now I have four pairs of red shoes for summer!"

And the best shoe salesman in the world replied, "Enough for one season."

Thank you for your dream.