January 18, 2007

Four Pairs for One!


My drawings are always very simple--I'm not trying to please anyone but instead record how the shoes in my dreams appeared and in what general context. Sorry about the writing being so small; I wasn't thinking ahead, or rather I had no idea I'd want to put this online some day.

Recently I told my friend R- about the acid-coloured striped boots I dreamt when she told me--she works in an actual shoe-making studio--about a pair of boots she was making with her co-workers for an upcoming show. Their version has 17 patent leather buckles, a stacked heel and rainbow irridescence to the leather. I decided mine were entirely different.

R- has a fantastic job, and I'm terribly happy for her that she enjoys it so much. Me, I push paper around all day and transmit information in a diplomatic manner.

4 comments:

stacy said...

What a lovely way to spend some time, meandering through your delicate drawings. How you describe your imagination makes me realize mine has been trading in mostly on past imaginings. And what you have put together was a super reminder to take the time to persue and enjoy our flights of fancy. I still remember the drawing you made of you and Tasha by the New Broadview Hotel. It was simple, honest, and the colors were so right. Not too soft, or hard, but illuminating.
Seeing just a shoe, in such clear line drawing is like unwrapping tissue paper from a delicious sweet. It's tiny, satisfying, and the memory and flavor linger.

I guess I'll have to come by and meander longer through your whimsy. But now I know where some of your sexy, sassy fashion sense comes from!

Anonymous said...

What a divine blog. What an ethereally lovely subject and beautiful way to deliver it. What a great way to dream (me, I dream of tall, impersonal buildings in ruined neighbourhoods).

Debbie said...

Claire,

I think you saw that first shoe on my foot and then your brain changed it a bit to your liking.

Finally a blog about life's important things!

Monstrosity said...

I love shoes a lot, but I don't think I dream about them, ever. Mostly I have anxiety dreams.

I very much like your shoe drawings. :)

Check out my advice blog at http://ask-a-monster.livejournal.com.

By the by, I am job hunting again.

~heather