April 27, 2007

Frog Charmer


Do you see images behind your eyes before falling to sleep? I've always found this time wonderful, when anything can pass into view--a canoe on an otherwise empty lake, cottonwood blowing through an office, two purple sticks. Anything! It is important not to force this phase of sleep or to conjure the images willfully, or else you will be disappointed. The subconscious imagination is not an engine to be started and stopped; it has its own drive. You can just let go of the wheel. This is sometimes most difficult to do.

Last night I half-dreamt of a little frog inside a sandal. I felt certain, somehow, that this was happening in India. However the frog was most likely a North American frog, because I've never been to India or seen Indian frogs. I have, on the other hand, seen Indian shoes. So we have here an ethnic hybrid of a dream.

How is this possible, that I can dream non-native species into being? Or combine two objects and know that they signal another country? I can travel such distances by going absolutely nowhere....

No comments: